Off all the players who just barely missed out on the WSOP ME November Nine final table, you have to feel for Matt Affleck...

He was chipleader on one of the last days last year and went out 80th or so.  This year he was once again navigating the waters even deeper down the the last dozen or so players.  Here was the hand... (courtesy of PokerStarsblog)

"Affleck and Duhamel were involved in a pot worth 42 million tournament chips, an amount large enough to carry to November's final table with serious expectations of becoming World Champion. Affleck, 23, had pocket aces. Duhamel, 22, had pocket jacks. They had seen a flop of T♦9♣7♥, and then a turn of Q♦. And then all of Affleck's chips found their way into the middle.

Duhamel took five minutes before calling the bet. Affleck was leading but Duhamel could hit any king, any jack or any eight to win, eliminating Affleck. He hit the 8♦.

As the eight-deep crowd gasped and roared, Affleck leant forward, slid his hat forward over his eyes, and rested his head on the arm-rest around the table. His body started to shake like a man beginning to weep. He held his head there for longer than any player I've ever seen. When he lifted it, he held his cap over his reddened cheeks. He wanted no one to see the tears in his eyes, but no one could look anywhere else."

He wanted it so bad and had played masterfully.  He showed more emotion than any other player at his bustout and surely wanted it very badly.  I feel for the kid, but he's young and will bounce back to go deep again.

4 Responses

Sort Responses by [ Oldest First - Newest First - Most Popular ]

Got something to say? Click here to Add a Response!

PF_Sam
PF_Sam Silver 1
3636d ago

Geez, that is so gut wrenching!  I can't stand when i go all in knowing i have the best hand and they get their out, let alone for millions! Just to clarify Matt Affleck is Ben's brother right? 

PF_pitboss
PF_pitboss Platinum 3
3636d ago

LOL...no, he is a kid from Seattle who plays a lot of MTT's online and got something like 80th last year after being chipleader that same day.  He has definite talent and will be back again, I'm sure.

PF_Sam
PF_Sam Silver 1
3635d ago

Hahahaa, that is my bad.  Ya seems like he has real talent he just needs to harness it.  Maybe someone can delete this post so they don't see what i asked before hahaha

PF_pitboss
PF_pitboss Platinum 3
3634d ago

It's all good, Sam.  I wondered the same things last year when I first heard his name mentioned.

PF_pitboss